Our Story

 

Located on approximately 125 acres of rolling hills in the heart of Los Gatos, La Rinconada can boast one of the most beautiful settings in the Santa Clara Valley. The Club overlooks the valley from the western foothills to the Santa Cruz Mountains and it is a joy to walk the course and enjoy the scenery below.

The idea for building this course took shape in the late twenties and, due to the dedicated efforts of a small group of men, culminated in the dedication of the golf course in 1929. This event was reported in the Sunday, June 2, 1929 issue of the San Jose Mercury Herald. A copy of this issue is preserved and displayed in the Clubhouse. It shows pictures of the original Clubhouse and a partial view of the golf course. It describes the setting as one of the finest locations that could be found for a golf course.

 

The Club and course were dedicated by Senator Sanborn Young, one of the original Club Members. Other founding Members included W.C. Sprague, W. B. Maxwell, Wendell C. Thomas, I.D. Mable, J.W. Higgenbotham, A.P. Giannini and James D. Bacigalupi. Pro Phil Jefferson was instrumental in building and maintaining the course in the early days.

 

World War II brought the Club to the brink of bankruptcy. After the war it was sold to Sol J. Leider, the golfing dentist who did so much for golf in this area. On November 7, 1952, he was persuaded to lease the land back to a group of area residents for a period of 99 years and the Club was reborn in its present form.

The golf course has been kept true to its classic design. Fairways are tight and tree-lined. Greens are small and well-guarded by bunkers. The variety of holes and shots make the course one that Members enjoy playing day after day. The golf course is complemented by an extensive practice facility, one of the best in the Bay Area.